October 2014 Board Minutes – Sept 29, 2014

Meeting: Rocky Mountain Road Runners Board Meeting

Date & Time: Monday, September 29, 2014; 6:30pm

Location: BRC in Cherry Creek

Secretary: Anne Gross

In Attendance: Dave Cunningham

Deb Cunningham

Michael & Maria Lepage

David Rothenburger

Stephanie Struble

Lisa Wilson

Eric Greene

Bob Basse

 

1. Treasurer’s Report (copied from last meeting)

Email from Leslie Mitchell: “Hi everyone – once again, I am out of town and will miss the board meeting. I’ve attached the current financials. Of note:

Our income is down substantially from YTD 2013. Membership revenue is down by $1,700, primarily in the amount of dues paid by check. Does anyone have any checks that members have given them for renewal?

Trophy Series revenue is down as well. This is a bit of a catch-all account. Anytime there is excess cash in the cash box, it gets deposited to this account (I don’t know where else to put it). So this account tends to have big swings in it, but usually by this time in the year it has evened out. Is there excess cash in the cash box?

Expenses are in line with last year. As a reminder, we had a big purchase of Trophy Series award ribbons last year. If you take that expense out (roughly $1,000) our expenses are in line.

So overall, I am concerned about membership revenue. I went to the post office last week and collected checks from Dave Cunningham, so I think everything has been deposited that I am aware of.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am available by email, phone, or text.”

 

2. Trophy Race September

 

Needed to reroute – turned out well

Attendance lower than normal

 

3. Trophy Race October

 

Race Director: Bob & Eric

Stephanie working on volunteers, sent out email today

Eric has previewed the course; there are 2 porta-potties (not sure if they are unlocked) at Safeway,

Need 2 water stops manned (5k turnaround, 2.5 mile), 1 unmanned (mile 5 turnaround)

Stephanie will get in touch with Eric about volunteers

Bob has permits for Parker

We are on the Cottonwood HOA calendar of events!

Eric will pick up food ($100) and mark the course on Friday

 

4. Marathon Series

 

55 people on Sunday

Briefcase was missing, general organization issues with bins, pens, etc.

But we had everything we needed

MTS in general was smaller this year than normal

Was big when it was at the Goodson Rec Center and when we had Fast Forward attend

Also big when we partnered with the Colfax Marathon

Do we want to do anything to up the attendance?

-can we do one without concrete? ie one near Dick’s Sporting Goods, Arsenal or Dekoevend

-potentially a trail route? ie Bear Creek Lake Park

-posters up in stores?

-link it to existing marathons

**Deb will ask Bonnie about permitting for Dekoevend and/or other dirt options

**Rick checking out things at Rocky Mountain Arsenal

 

5. Volunteer of the Month September

 

Rob Sanchez & Harley

Scott Hogg was on top of it, always willing to help out

 

Olga

Cheryl Riley

 

Vote 4 for Scott, 1 for Cheryl

 

6. November Race – Rocky Mountain Arsenal

 

Issues with closing off areas in the arsenal because of the triathlon

Rick is checking on all of this

 

7. Water Stop at Denver Half Marathon

 

Only 8 volunteers signed up at this time

Need people showing up at 6, on until 11:00am or so

Dave needs to go out and check to see if there is power

 

8. Membership

 

Applications in all stores

If you’re in a store, check to see if you can find them

Can we make sure we are on the blackboards or events calendars of stores

 

9. End of the Series Gift and Trophy Series

 

Beer glasses coming in

 

Volunteer Gifts

Dave checking on these, 30 jackets – should know more in the next couple of days

 

Race director

Duffle bags

 

10. Marketing, Website, etc.

 

Lisa is now in charge of marketing

Dave, Lisa and Pete had a meeting to hand off previous marketing

Ideas for getting registration up in January

 

New website updates happening in the next couple of weeks

Add member profiles

Course records information of the upcoming race

Pull out some good information for the news ticker tape

 

If you have other ideas for things on the website, please email Dave

 

Lisa will be working on the Facebook presence

 

9. Track

 

Will talk at the next practice about whether it would be at 6:00 or 6:15

Only 4 more left, then shifts to David’s Long Runs at

River Point Shopping Center

6:00pm starting after track

Are we going to try and support slower runners?

Put it on Meetup?

Would need someone else involved if we want to have it more available for slower runners

 

Other weekly options?

Encourage members to post on Facebook what runs they are doing personally to grow a community sense

 

11. Race Schedule

 

Joining Trailhead Park Sept race with MTS Sun training run?

October is on Saturday because of Race for the Cure, we could probably move it to Sunday

**Proposed by Stephanie, seconded and passed to move Oct race from Sat to Sun

Sat Apr 25, last MTS, keeping it on Saturday? Cherry Creek Sneak conflicts

Rocky Mountain Road Runners Marathon?????

 

12. Anything Else?

 

Run the Rocks person coming, Carolina

Kids coming because their cross country team can’t race!

Sept 2014 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting: Rocky Mountain Road Runners Board Meeting

Date & Time: Tuesday, September 2, 2014; 7:00pm

Location: Whole Foods on Colorado Blvd

Secretary: Anne Gross

In Attendance: Dave Cunningham

Deb Cunningham

Hilarie Ryals

Michael & Maria LePage

David Rothenburger

Stephanie Struble

 

1. Treasurer’s Report

Email from Leslie Mitchell: “Hi everyone – once again, I am out of town and will miss the board meeting. I’ve attached the current financials. Of note:

Our income is down substantially from YTD 2013. Membership revenue is down by $1,700, primarily in the amount of dues paid by check. Does anyone have any checks that members have given them for renewal?

Trophy Series revenue is down as well. This is a bit of a catch-all account. Anytime there is excess cash in the cash box, it gets deposited to this account (I don’t know where else to put it). So this account tends to have big swings in it, but usually by this time in the year it has evened out. Is there excess cash in the cash box?

Expenses are in line with last year. As a reminder, we had a big purchase of Trophy Series award ribbons last year. If you take that expense out (roughly $1,000) our expenses are in line.

So overall, I am concerned about membership revenue. I went to the post office last week and collected checks from Dave Cunningham, so I think everything has been deposited that I am aware of.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am available by email, phone, or text.”

 

2. Trophy Race August

 

Mile markers off, high line canal markers off?

Smaller numbers, but decent turn out

 

3. Trophy Race September

 

Race Director: David Rothenburger

 

8 mile and 5k to be set up; mile markers are faded

Water station as well on the 5k, 8 mile will see twice, volunteers can drive right up to it

David has Georgetown pint glasses for the give away

Gift certificates, book about running injuries as well for the give away

Deb and Dave have items for David for the race

 

4. Marathon Series

 

42 people turned out, course record set

2 race directors for next time

David has fliers for the next upcoming

Need to distribute fliers and application better to local running stores, Endurance House, over to Highlands

David will send out email with sign up to stores, etc tonight

David will get Tim’s info for Mike L.

Stephanie will work towards more volunteers for a water stop

 

5. Volunteer of the Month August

 

Pam, Larry, Bruce all helped cooking

Two new volunteers at the aid station taking pictures

Jewel who helped at the end of the shute

Or Larry from the MTS

 

Larry!

Gift cards in cash box

 

6. End of the Series Gift and Trophy Series

 

Photo frame or pilsner glass?

Most votes for pilsner

 

Volunteer Gifts

Shirts, jackets? Sierra Trading Post, might have issues with sizes

Could we get running store prices for the jacket?

Dave will ask Amanda with BRC to get their price, super lightweight running jacket

Deb will check emails from Stephanie for samples/examples

 

Race director awards

Gym bags, two compartments?

Dave will check with new volunteer list to try and get one person to spearhead

 

7. Volunteer Email

 

Dave shared the list of volunteers willing to become more involved, incredible response!

Bottles? Dave is meeting with Lisa next week

Email Jimmy to see if he would be willing to help with MTS

 

Stephanie chatting with David about September Trophy Series

Volunteers, ie Rob, Harleigh, etc running the 5k and working the water stop

 

Dave would like to really take a look at the board, be a bit more official and hold elections this year

People haven’t showed up, need to assign positions

Need to take a look at the constitution and by laws

December annual meeting at the Cunninghams

 

Dave will send update email with all of the new people with new jobs

Dave will be meeting with each of them to give direction

Marketing, communication, Facebook, newsletter, website

 

8. Water Stop at Denver Half Marathon

Need volunteers, can sign up on marathon site

Dave will be managing

Banners, PA, other options to really make the aid station awesome

 

9. Track

 

Wednesday, September 3 at North High School

Need to communicate with participants that its not at Sloans Lake

 

10. Anything Else

Dave will talk to Casey about awards

Dave will talk to Jimmy about race directing for MTS

Mike, Marie, Scott will come early for set up on Saturday

March 2014 RMRR Board Minutes – 31March2014

Monday March 3/31/2014 6:30pm      Board Meeting @ Boulder Running Company
Leslie, Stephanie, Maria, Hilarie, Deb, David, Dave, Bob
Treasurer’s Report
Concerns about membership revenue through Active.  Could be due to Active search issues.  Look at revenue by month??
Trophy Race – March – Results – Comments about the race
Well run, but scoring was slow, so people left after the raffle.  H2 make this easier?  Adam Feerst has volunteered to build a PC-based way to do race day – Dave C to follow up
Trophy Series Race – Sat April 5, 2013 4 mile City Park – Volunteers – Race course – Other race issues
Brian and Tim G will direct (Stephanie out of town).  Janet will lock up at 5am to make sure City is ok.  Janet getting portapotty; lots of volunteers.
Volunteer of the Month – Mike Blanchett for shoveling?  Jeff Hesse for helping and photos?
Mike Blanchette for his sweeping task.
MTS
March 30, 2014 – Results (will be posted tonight) – 61 finishers – 27 20M runners.
Next on is Sat April 12, – Stephanie and Cheryl – Race Directors.
Last one is Sat April 26 – Deb and Dave – Race directors.
Marketing – Dave C
>> I am a Runner – no planning work completed by Dave C.  Will have by next month’s board meeting with suggested approach and $$ needed.  Anyone interested in doing with Dave?
David will work with Lisa to shape the graphic treatment.
Shirt design
     – David continues to work with Lisa on logo
     – Idea of Runner in front, club logo in back
$$ for this and how to engage members – who gets a shirt/bottle?
5 club races
>> Roles in Club – Who to approach
Dave C to build list and get more people signed up.
>>  BRC – VIP Party Thursday night, other updates
did discuss discount issue, but no change in approach.  BRC is doing other things and we should encourage our members to go there, but we can’t influence how discount impacts them.
>>  Colorado Runner ad will go out next week
Raffle this weekend – North Fork 50k entry, BBoulder raffle gear and entries, 3W stuff, Polar bottles (thanks Maria!!), energy bars (thanks Deb!), RR certs, maybe BRC certs…lots, so plan to send email about it!
>> Dave C send email to members.
Scoring – Dave C
>>  Kristin Mott working with me on scoring this weekend.  Hopefully she will be able to step in soon.
>>  Adam Lee stepping away.  I will work with Adam to document year end work and latest processes.
>>  working with Adam F – potentially create new simple way to do raceday scoring with PC, not manual.
Idea right now, no work done yet.  But – this would also call for new PC, which Hilarie also needs for Membership work.
APPROVED – Hilarie work with Mike Q to buy new PC.  $800 budget.  Use credit card and get reimbursed from Leslie.
Quartermaster Report
Membership
Hilarie needs new PC for membership work – ok?  Will also use for raceday scoring if Adam thing works out
Awards – volunteer awards–where does that stand David?  Are we going to give something out or let it go?
Polar Bottle option…
Preliminary quote: 100 custom @ $8.00 ea ($800)
If you supply art in a print ready format (Please NO JPEG or GIFs/ see attachment) the setup charge is $50.00.
Total: $850 plus shipping
Your art can be as many colors as you want. 
You can have different art on each side
You can personalize your bottles for an additional $2.00 per name.
Your bottles can be any of the regular Polar Bottle colors & designs (except for the USA Pro Cycling & LTD Edition bottles), any size. Go to this link to see all of your choices.
.
For custom orders all sizes are the same price.
Your order can include all sizes at no extra cost.
Your order can include more than one bottle color.

As soon I have the details for your order I will send you an order form with an itemized price quote.
When we have your order with the art & a 50% deposit we will make one of your custom bottles & send it to you USPS 3 day for approval.
The balance is due by the ship date. Turnaround time to ship date is 2 weeks from the date you approve your bottle.
Track will start Wed April 2, – North High 6:00pm (or is it 6:15p?!?)
Colfax Marathon – Tent
Tina and Columbine’s Race
“I wanted to promote the Columbine Classic at the April 5th trophy series races (4 and 8 miles races) and raffle a few 2-for-1 race entries.  The Classic races are on June 1st which is the same day as the June trophy series Pancake Breakfast race.  Would this be a conflict of interest with RMRR club races?  Since I heard you were having a board meeting tonight, I thought you could discuss this and let me know what you think.
Leslie, Jitka O’Farrel, Crystal Ganoe and I are Columbines members and I was planning to ask a few other Columbines to possibly join us that day, too.  Our race is benefitting the Women’s Bean Project, in case you interested in who our beneficiary is this year.”
Board – agrees that this is a conflict and we can’t promote.
Potts – Trying to get Mile High Loop renamed.  Need 1000 signatures from Denver residents to get it considered.
>> I said I would announce at the Race on Saturday.
City Park Alliance (namers of the loop) – they didn’t care.
Anything else?
Next Meeting Monday April 28, 2014

January 2014 Board Meeting – 3Feb2014

Board Meeting February
3 Feb 2014
David Rothenburger, Deb Cunningham, Dave Cunningham, Michael Lepage, Maria Lepage, Eric Greene, Hilarie Ryals
Whole Foods on Colorado Blvd
Agenda
Treasurers ReportTrophy Race – Platte River Bar and Grill (John B)

Deb requested that John or someone tied to race contact Pancho
– Volunteers –
–  Race Course 7M and 5K (new course)
–  Food:  $100 for the bar
– Other race issues
New course – goes to roundabout at golf course, goes 1/2 to the south and turns around.  5k will go north a bit, then back south and use the same turnaround.
Plan to do awards
Ken – doing Stephanie’s volunteer coordination while she’s gone.
Volunteer of the Month:  Jockers for bringing their heater
Volunteer of the Year for 2013 Tom, Rosalie and Sheryl
David to provide listing of VOY to Dave C to put on the webYear End Banquet
– How did it go?  went well, service is good.

        – Next year Tentatively 25 January – Homestead
>> David will bring mugs to the race

Track  Wed  – Done until Next Spring
Wed night long runs at River Point shopping Center (Hampden and Santa Fe)
Group Runs on Sat at Goodson or Cherry Creek Res. Depends of weather for location
Also look on facebook as people have been posting runs for the next day.

>> Deb will check on using the North track – after Daylight savings – 1st Weds of April
Database – will no longer use Lee’s Windows server.
>> Dave C write up approach to make sure db use is clean

Marketing /Goals – Dave C

I am a Runner – strong response to this as a message for our club – this is what we help you do
have an “I Am A Runner” on the front (could someone do a graphic design?
15 minute volunteer – good response, especially to the greeter idea.
I am a Runner – ask for designs.  Check with Lisa W?  David will do that, and then Deb
Dave review the web, Facebook, other stuff – rebranding for I am a Runner and make sure he’s comfortable
Deb will do the 15 minute volunteer post for February
David needs some race director help
David reluctant – needs to think about I’m a runner
>> Runners Roost – check for apps and MTS
>> BRC – Tuesday night run through the club?  propose to Alexis.
     >> get an update from Alexis
>> Jeff O – pick up GU from Sam?
15 minutes of volunteering ideas
– focus on guest members:  talk up membership
David will be sending out an email to MTS runners from last couple of years
 
Want to see old race results – figure out how to post more cleanly.
put old results 
records – good to have a table or PDF
Anything elseNext Meeting Monday Feb 24